Search This Blog

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Worst Thanksgiving Ever

Worst Thanksgiving Ever
by William C. Walker Jr.

November 28, 2014

Note to self if you have to watch a Cowboys game on Thanksgiving do it in a positive environment.  I can remember times that I've seen Dallas lose on Thanksgiving. But I can't think of one that has made me so sick to my stomach as the loss they took yesterday. Maybe the infamous snow game when Leon Lett lost the game by chasing the ball after the defense just blocked a field goal  versus the Miami Dolphins.  As horrible as that was it pales in comparison to what I had to deal with Thursday.  Ordinarily this is where I would hit my 5 points. But seeing how I'd barely feel like go over that horrendous game again I'll just express what made this Thanksgiving so awful.

I'm an extremely supertisious person when it comes to my sports. The Cowboys especially , I had already confirmed that I would spend Thanksgiving with my beautiful fiancée. Throughout the season for the majority of the Cowboys wins I had been apart from my Dad & brother (the power trio of Cowboys fans). So it didn't matter to me that I'd miss my Mom's tour de force of a meal. Now seeing how 3 of the Boys losses have come while I've watched the game in Pottstown, PA I was definitely hesistant to watch the game there. But my fiancée had said how we would go down to her dad's in Bowie, MD. Problem solved I wouldn't have to watch the game in Pottstown plus I wouldn't be surrounded by Pigeon fans so the environment would be copacetic.  Now unfortunately my car hasn't been in the best shape. Needs wheel alignment & it's leaking antifreeze as well as the fact that my fiancée has to work on Friday in Philadelphia so no overnight stay. So when I wake up Thanksgiving morning and my love says "I don't feel comfortable going to my Dad's let's stay here". My brain immediately went to RED FLAG number 1. But I shrugged it off said it's ok those earlier losses while here won't matter stop being silly.  As the day commenced & the family scrambled to get dinner ready apprehension started to eat at me. What if they lose today? There's no team I hate more with a passion that burns deep to the core of my soul than the Philadelphia Eagles. Banish the thought from my mind I thought to myself. But as the game approached & we hadn't eaten yet since not everyone was there RED FLAG number 2.  I tried again to shrug it off no big deal.  Yet once the pregame showed the players doing warm ups I saw the Cowboys weren't rocking the beautiful home white jerseys but the road blues. RED FLAG number 3 I loved the blue jerseys but they're bad luck I'm sorry there's no way around it! At this point I'm completely on edge. What proceeded to commence was the worse football Dallas has played since week 1. What made it worse is I couldn't express the full range of disgust or emotion I was feeling while surrounded by my fiancée's family. I held it together for as long as I could. Then her uncle goes on to praise Mark Butt Fumble Sanchez as of he were the second coming of Norm Van Brocklin. On how the Jets did him wrong. GIVE ME A BREAK! Next he continued on to blame Romo for the recent futility in the Cowboys records. That's when I lost it. For the next 5 minutes I went on full on rant on how the hell could you blame Romo for Dallas lack of playoff success. Granted he's made mistakes but Romo doesn't play defense when the D allowed the Giants to score with less than a minute in the 1st half to tie the game at 14, instead of going in with a touchdown lead at halftime in '07. I guess it was Romo's fault when Patrick Crayton stopped running his route which would've been a go ahead TD, or on 3rd & 10 when he hit Crayton right in the hands for another wide open TD. How bout in '09 when the defense didn't bother to show up versus Minnesota and I guess Romo was supposed to block for himself when Minnesota's d-line abused an injured Marc Columbo & young Doug Free.  Needless to say cordial went out the door after my rant the only miracle was that I kept it clean.

So while I escaped the horror of that terrible game I missed being at home with my family. I know that me being there had nothing to do with Dallas's loss. More of the effects of the short week, as the Cowboys D looked gassed after the Eagles first series.  As well as the fact that the o-line chose this week to put in their worse performance of the year. No I know it had nothing to do with me being in Pottstown. So while I love my fiancée and her family next year I will not be watching the game there!

No comments:

Post a Comment