Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Comic Book Movie Madness Round 2 New York & Metropolis Region

Comic Book Movie Madness Round 2




With Round 1 complete onto the next round, while some of these movies had an easy go of it some just squeaked by.  A few major upsets but the heavyweights still seem poised for a deep run. Decided to present the match-ups a little differently this round, highlighting memorable scenes from the movies.  These scenes put on display why we enjoyed these films in the first place, and why there's no slowing down Comic Book Movies dominance in the future.




Round 2 New York Region


1 The Avengers vs. 8 The Wolverine



So after a decisive round 1 win The Avengers takes on The Wolverine that squeaked by Amazing Spider-Man with a 1 vote win.  While The Wolverine was definitely an improvement over the first go round, it's still way out of it's league when taking on The Avengers.  These two movies aren't even in the same stratosphere.  While both scenes presented are great, I'm expecting another Avengers win with ease.






1 The Avengers vs 8 The Wolverine



12 The Dark Knight Rises vs. 4 Kick-Ass

Much like the NCAA tournament a 12 has upset a 5 with The Dark Knight Rises upsetting Man of Steel in the first round.  It's next opponent the 4th seed Kick-Ass which just got by the Richard Donner series Superman.  If you were able to see my write-up on TDKR you know I'm not a fan, but I wouldn't be surprised if it pulled another upset over Kick-Ass.  Funny that the true Batman will be taking on a film with a crazier version of Batman & Robin in Big Daddy & Hit-Girl.  Though Robin never talked like Hit-Girl.



(Warning Viewer Discretion Advised)


4 Kick-Ass vs 12 The Dark Knight Rises


6 X-Men: Days of Future Past vs. 3 Spider-Man

No real surprise here as both of these films breezed through the first round.  Not quite a clash of titans in my book as I think Spider-Man has a way higher standing in my book.  Though I know the fans love the X-Men and this movie in particular.  For me Spider-Man is a gold standard, because honestly while X-Men was good and brought characters from the pages to life.  Bryan Singer grounded them a a bit much like Nolan did with Batman. Spider-Man like The Avengers after it fully embraced it's comic roots and put it on full display for all to enjoy. Give me Spidey for the win.


3 Spider-Man vs 6 X-Men:Days of Future Past


7 Men In Black vs. 2 X-Men: First Class

Again no surprises here as the 2 seed X-Men: First Class faces off against the 7 seed Men In Black. First Class to me is hands down the best X-Men movie.  This movie breathed new life into a franchise that had been suffering from some fatal hits after X3 and Origins:Wolverine.  While it'll face a tough challenge from Men In Black, which is a movie that still cracks me up.  I don't think it'll be too close as the action in First Class was off the charts. First Class made me wish they'd done that prequel with Fassbender's Nazi hunting Magneto!



2 X-Men:First Class vs 7 Men In Black




Round 2 Metropolis Region


1 Captain America: The Winter Soldier vs. 9 Iron Man 2

How fitting before next summer's Captain America:Civil War we get the main two opponents to face off here.  The Winter Soldier officially made me a Cap fan, before this movie even though I greatly enjoyed Cap 1 I still love the character.  With Cap 2 my perception changed dramatically.  Forget comic book movie, The Winter Soldier was just a great movie period, that's something I think we'll find the with the movies that are left standing now.  Again I enjoyed Iron Man 2 it's definitely not the best of the Marvel films in fact it probably isn't even top 5 but it had some really good moments.  But I definitely see Cap taking him down with ease this time.



1 Captain America:The Winter Soldier vs 9 Iron Man 2


5 Blade II vs. 4 Captain America: The First Avenger
(Warning Viewer Discretion Advised)
This is definitely two heavyweights going at it!  Blade II was beyond awesome to me, and I could argue that Captain America:The First Avenger was the best of Marvel Studios phase 1 solo outings. With a potential Cap vs. Cap in the Sweet 16 I don't know who's going to come out on top. But Blade II had some freaking mind-melting action scenes, yet Cap's period setting was old school action packed goodness.  Wesley Snipes and the Ron Perlman led Blood Pack shined, but you got great performances form Chris Evans, Tommy Lee Jones, and the tremendous Haley Atwell.  Can't wait to see who comes out on top in this one.  



4 Captain America:The First Avenger vs Blade II


6 Batman Begins vs. 3 Sin City

Another interesting match-up but one where the two movies in my book aren't close.  Sin City was done masterfully, I mean simply masterfully.  I don't know if there's another movie on this list that was adapted better from it's comic roots.  While I enjoyed Batman Begins because Nolan gave you the Year One Bat story that we'd never seen on the big screen before, there were just some moments that were a bit off to me. While Batman Begins was packed with a fantastic cast of great actors, Sin City more than held it's own with A-list talent.  I loved this clip in Begins that took me back to the first time I read Year One.  It was hard for me to narrow down a clip for Sin City, plus I just freaking loved THIS TRAILER!


3 Sin City vs 6 Batman Begins


7 Spider-Man 3 vs. 2 300

Which was shockingly a lot tougher fight then I thought 300 squeaks by Watchmen, while Spider-Man 3 somewhat easily gets past Red.  So to be honest I'm not sure how this one is going to shake out.  I'd say 300 easy seeing how these two movies are on totally different levels, but 300's struggle may leave the door open for a Spidey upset.  I liked Spider-Man 3 the first half was freaking great, and I loved how they did the symbiote, but they didn't stick the landing.  Looking at the clip again I kind of forgot how decent this movie was.  Look if you saw my write-up from Round 1 I love love love 300. Coming right after Sin City it was equally a visual feast while the story was a lot more simple, I still can't understand how it just scrapped by. 


2 300 vs 7 Spider-Man 3













So there you have it the match-ups for Round 2 of New York & Metropolis Regions! Who's going to make the Sweet 16 of the 1st Annual Comic Book Movie Madness?

No comments:

Post a Comment