Search This Blog

Monday, September 8, 2014

Does Only Video Matter?

Does Only Video Matter?
by. William C. Walker Jr

September 8, 2014



By now I'm sure many have seen the video of now former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice assaulting his wife Janay Parker.  It's extremely disgusting to behold, I'm a firm believer that a man shouldn't strike a woman.  But what makes this even more disturbing is seeing the events leading to Rice's actions on the elevator.  I was raised to never strike a woman, as a man there are a multitude of options that can be used against a woman opposed to striking her.  I believe the punishment Rice has received is justified, but at the same time I just think people should take a moment before they call for lifetime bans.  I'm not defending what he did it was blatantly wrong and it's amazing to me that he wasn't charged, but there have been players in this league that actually killed people and were still allowed to play.  Josh Brent a former player of the Cowboys willingly chose to drive while under the influence of alcohol, the result was the death of his teammate and best friend Jerry Brown.  While Brent was given probation their was no public outrage or call for a lifetime ban.

Society to me is quick to vilify a person the moment they're transgression is exposed.  If there was no video of Rice's incident would their be such an outcry?  While the 49ers Ray McDonald maybe getting some attention from his own domestic violence arrest there's no outright cry for his dismissal.  The woman he's alleged to assault was pregnant yet you barely hear news in regards to his status.  I've been a fervent objector to how Roger Goodell handles his duties as NFL commissioner.  I just have a problem when you suspend someone before the legal system has done it's part.  So even though I thought his initial 2 game suspension of Rice was way too light, I don't think it was wrong for him to take in account that Rice hadn't been charged, nor had he a history of legal issues.  I do think it's a little late and a poor precedent to be so knee-jerk to public outcry.

So while I think the Ravens were justified in dismissing Rice, was it really necessary to add an indefinite suspension on top of it?  Let's be honest there won't be a team that will touch Rice with a 100 foot pole this year.  So with that taken into account shouldn't the year be enough for him.  I hope he continues to seek help for his issues, and that it truly was a one-time mistake though the way he attacked her unprovoked makes me question the man's character all together.  It's hard to believe it was the first time he's done this, and with that in mind it's practically impossible to feel sorry for him which I don't.  But I think I just have an issue with not believing that people can redeem themselves.  There are a ton of abusers that work everyday jobs let's not just ignore these non-celebrity victims because their abuse wasn't caught on video.

What do you think is a lifetime ban justifiable?


No comments:

Post a Comment