Search This Blog

Monday, October 7, 2013

Even Keel Out The Window

Even Keel Out The Window
By William C. Walker Jr.

October 7, 2013




I’ll be honest that’s me not going to lie, even keel Dallas Cowboy’s fan William Walker Jr. loudly went away.  So we’re now at week 5 of the NFL season and after one of the most exciting football games I’ve seen.   Even keel went out the window.  Face it I was acting like a damn fool!  And I loved every second of it.  There’s a saying baseball is America’s pastime but football is America’s passion.  It’s the truth you can’t just sit still watching a football game.  You jump you shout you high five and signal touchdown as if you’re an official there on the field.  If you can sit still during a football game either your team sucks or you just don’t care about football.  I realized that as I was watching the shootout between the otherworldly Peyton Manning and Tony Romo in Dallas that it’s just not fun being even keel.  Sure you could sit still and calmly take in the exciting plays lightly clap and comment on a job well done.  But this isn’t golf where you can’t speak above a whisper.  This is football where you see bone crunching hits at race car like speeds.   So excuse me if I choose to holler at the top of my lungs when my team scores a TD.

                So that brings me to my experience on Sunday afternoon.  I’ll be honest after the debacle in San Diego where Phillip Rivers picked this defense apart throwing over 400 yards and throwing 3 TDs, I did not have high hopes for this game.  I fully expected Dallas to lose, in fact I feared it was going to be absolutely disgusting to watch.  And from defense’s standpoint it was just that pretty disgusting to watch.  Not one time did the Denver Broncos punt the ball the Broncos punter literally got paid to watch a football game yesterday because his services were not needed.  Now the Dallas offense led by Tony Romo shocked the heck out of me.  I mean Romo was balling out of his mind with a career day throwing for over 500 yards and 5 touchdowns it was flat out amazing to watch.  Especially since making big plays seemed to be missing from the offense thus far this season.  It was obvious from the opening tip that the offense came to play.  They started with a beautiful 80 yard drive that was finished off with an amazing catch by Dez Bryant that shows he is one of the BEST wide receiver’s in the league.   Then after a very unusual Denver Bronco’s turnover they capitalize again.  The highlight of that drive was Romo pulling a Houdini on 3rd and long to get a first down, and score another TD to go up 14-0. 


                Unfortunately Dallas’s offense had to leave the field, and the defense had to supposedly step on the field.  I say supposedly because I’ll be honest I didn’t see any semblance of an actual NFL defense on the field for Dallas.  I mean seriously they couldn’t force one punt, not one time. Even though Romo threw the pick that ended the game, I really blame that horrible defense for that loss. So the fact that Dallas was even in this game was a miracle to me.  I thought Dallas was going to lose, and they had a very legitimate shot to win. I was going crazy!  I mean shouting jumping and hitting the ground in excitement and sorrow at the end.     It was beyond fantastic!  So I’ll admit it I can’t remain even keel football is too fun and exciting to watch it in a cold silent way.  I shouted like a passionate fan and I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment